Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Fireweed


So the last couple days at work have been filled with talk of the Fireweed ultra-race, which took place over the weekend. There were multiple events, from 50 to 400 miles. It's been exciting to hear the stories of those who entered the race, scratched and ultimately finished. The winner of the 400 event, John Caton, came into REI yesterday and chatted with one of my bike-nut co-workers as I listened closely. He finished the 400 mile stretch in something like 27 hours!

At the beginning of the summer, I heard about the race and contemplated entering it. But the summer got away from me, as it usually does, and didn't sign up for a single race. The Gold Nugget Triathlon will probably be the only event with cycling that I'll compete in this year. Hopefully that will all change next summer. I'm going to try to get out this summer and log some serious miles in a mostly mental exercise to see if I really want to ride such a distance in a time-trial event (I'm thinking the Fireweed 200 maybe). We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment