Saturday, January 29, 2011

Romans...

If we continue to send our children to Caesar for their education, 
we need to stop being surprised when they come home as Romans
 Dr. Voddie Baucham

This quote sums up exactly why I am 80% sure I want to homeschool my kids when they are in elementary school.  What do you think?

Today was a busy one.  Steve woke up at 5:40 to go snowmachining, and I tried to go back to sleep.  I slept fitfully until 7:40, when I decided to get out of bed and start my day.  I have had homework and housework piling up for the last couple of days but I have been so sick and unmotivated that I have been putting it off.  Today I knew I had to be productive.  I made a list on my phone before I even got out of bed, so I would not forget anything.  I started the first load of laundry before sitting down in my recliner to read my Bible.  I could not really concentrate on reading, so I prayed about my day and got started.  I set the dishes to soak and then got out what I needed to make bread.

Making bread is always such a relaxing activity, even thought I definitely worked up a little sheen of perspiration while kneading the dough today!  I made basic wheat bread for sandwiches and toast, but I used a recipe from my new cookbook.  It turned out delicious!  I am finally getting to be natural at making bread.  I don't have to watch the yeast to be sure it is active or get out my thermometer to measure the temperature of everything (I killed a lot of yeast in my early bread making days).  It is a mindless chore that gives me time to reflect, and I like starting out the day of work with it.  After I set it away to rise, I washed the dishes.  There were enough for two rounds, and when that is the case, I let the first round air dry on the rack while the second round soaks in the sink.

While the second round was soaking, I decided to go through my utensil drawer, something I have been meaning to do for a LONG time.  I got rid of a few things we never use, and lined the drawer with freezer paper.  Our cabinets and drawers are old and sort of ramshackle; Steve's dad installed them when Steve was just a baby and they've been well used ever since.  The particle board that serves as the bottom of the drawer is now flaking off bits of wood, which gets on the clean dishes.  So while I had them all out of the drawer, I decided to see how well freezer paper works as a lining.


I think it works pretty well for being last minute and free.  After finishing that project, I switched the loads of laundry then headed back to the kitchen to finish up the dishes.  When I next turned around, the dough had doubled, so I punched it down, turned it out and divided it into two loaf pans to rise one last time.  My house is always chilly, so I turn my oven on to warm and set the rising dough on the stove top to help the process along.  

Tidying up the living room and vacuuming came next, which is always fun now that Steve got me a new DeWalt shop vac that I can carry around with me.  
I love it because it runs on the DeWalt battery backs so I don't have to be plugged in all the time.  We don't have any carpet (except in our bedroom) so it works a lot better than a conventional vacuum would have worked for us.  I LOVE it.  Have I mentioned that I love it? :)

Once all the housework was done, I sat down to do homework.  That was around 11am, and I am just now finished with what I planned to get done today.  Whew!  I'm tired, and I think our houseguest, Leroy, is too!




2 comments:

  1. I think it depends on the kids, the parents, the options. There are so many factors that come into play that easy answers are hard to come by... My 2 cents.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so true Leah! It is just really hard to say one way or another until you actually have each of your children in front of you, about to start school, AND on where you are and what schools are available.

    ReplyDelete