Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Brian Jacques

When I sat down at my computer today, I was greeted by some sad news.  Apparently author Brian Jacques died Saturday evening.  He was only 71.


Growing up, I think it is safe to say that the Redwall books were family favorites.  My entire family read them and loved them.  One of the appeals of these books is that they are really and truly unlike nearly any other series I've read, and Jacques was so good at coming out with new books.  Redwall was published in 1986, and the latest in the series, The Sable Quean, came out just last year.  It is sad to think that this will finally be the end of the series.  For anyone who hasn't read these books, I highly recommend them.  


Begin with Redwall, although chronologically, it is not the first book.  This is the chronological order of the books, as listed on the official Redwall website:
  • Martin the Warrior
  • Mossflower
  • The Legend of Luke
  • Outcast of Redwall
  • Mariel of Redwall
  • The Bellmaker
  • Salamandastron
  • Redwall
  • Mattimeo
  • The Pearls of Lutra
  • The Long Patrol
  • Marlfox
  • Lord Brocktree
  • Taggerung
  • Triss
  • Loamhedge
  • Rakkety Tam
  • High Rhulain
  • Eulalia!
  • Doomwyte
No matter what order you read the books, the valiant, yet somehow realistic animals in these stories will charm you as their lives thrill you.  I know I will miss reading each new book as it comes out, and will feel that twinge of sadness each time I read the books from now on, knowing that the creator of such a beautiful world is now gone.  

3 comments:

  1. Oh no! This is really a loss. I too really loved the Redwall series and was looking forward to more of them because of that feeling of being in the Mossflower world. Sad Day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrible!! I agree, family favorite and reminds me that I need to reread and catch up on these books!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally almost cried when I saw this. I have always loved his books and the childhood memories they bring back. To this day reading the passages about food make me want to go out and be a mouse and collect dandelion wine. It seems I need to catch up though as there were like 5 new ones on that list I haven't read!

    ReplyDelete