Tuesday, February 14, 2012

stuffed

Due to a grocery shopping mishap, we had double the bell peppers we could normally eat before they go bad. I decided to remedy this tonight by making stuffed bell peppers.  I improvised a vegetarian recipe I found online by adding leftover halibut I had from last night and even included some diced bell pepper in the stuffing.  I have never made stuffed peppers before, simply because I loath green peppers, but luckily it had finally dawned on me that I didn't have to use the green ones {I'm so brilliant - ha}.

They turned out delicious, as I hoped, so I thought I'd share:





Halibut Stuffed Bell Peppers


4 large bell peppers of any color
2 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
1/2 can black beans
1/2 can corn (I used frozen - tasted great)
1/2 large onion, finely diced
1 small bell pepper, finely diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
14 oz crushed tomato (jarred or fresh tomatoes crushed by hand)
1 cup cheese (I used cheddar, but whatever you have will work just as well)
1/2 cup water
Serve with salsa and sour cream
1/2 packet or a few shakes of fajita seasoning (optional)


1) Cook rice according to package instructions and set aside.

2) Cut the tops off of the bell peppers and scoop out the seeds and white stuff.  They need to be softened before being stuffed, so either steam them for a few minutes or boil them for about 8 minutes.

3) In a small fry pan, sautee the onions, diced pepper and garlic in a little olive oil until the onions become translucent.

4) In a large mixing bowl, combine the cooked rice, sauteed mix black beans, corn, fajita seasoning and 1/2 a cup of cheese.  Stir it up good.  This is your filling.

5) When the peppers are softened, stand them upright in a baking dish and fill them with stuffing mixture and top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.

6) Pour a 1/2 cup of water in the bottom of the dish around the peppers (this creates a steamy environment and prevents the peppers from browning too much).

7) Bake at 350 for 30 minutes and enjoy!

improvised from here

2 comments: