Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Mex Mac and Sunshine

I had a crazy evening. Because of that, I didn't get to take the pictures I wanted to go along with my recipe. But I did get some pictures of the beautiful sunshine we had today, which is more important anyway, right?



Everyone's happy for the sun. It's that special spring sun that is warm on my skin. Today Riggs and I went out to take the dog for a walk and we both just looked up at the sun, soaking it in. So lovely and such a tease since it will be winter here for at least another month.



Somehow I got stuck driving around, doing errands for Steve and other important things, like paying rent. The hassle was worth when I was treated to this view on the way home.

It's moment like those that makes time freeze and your worries melt away. You slowly let out your breath and the tension leaves your shoulders and arms and a smiles grows on your face and in your heart. So lovely!

Last night I tried a new recipe that I found on the back of the bag of cheddar cheese (random, I know) and it was delicious, getting rave reviews all around. Well, it was only Steve and I, but we definitely both loved it. The cilantro was the key ingredient that pulled everything together.

I wish I had a better picture for you from after it came out of the oven, but I forgot last night and tonight was too crazy (we had the leftovers with my brother-in-law) so I only have one picture of it cold and not looking its best...don't worry it's delicious!



Mex Mac and Cheese

2 cups small elbow macaroni, cooked
1/2 cup chunky salsa (I used medium to give it a little spice)
1 cup fresh cilantro leaves, rinsed
3 cups cheddar cheese, divided
1 cup whole milk (I used plain yogurt)
1/4 cup cream (I used sour cream)
Tortilla chips (about a handful)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

1. Process salsa and cilantro together in food processor, set aside.
2. In a medium saucepan, bring dairy products and 2 cups of cheese to a simmer, remove from heat and add cooked noodles, and salsa mixture - stir all together.
3. Add half to 2 qt. casserole dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of cheese. Add the rest of noodle mixture on top.
4. Cover with broken tortilla chips and remaining 1/2 cup of cheese.
5. Bake until cheese is golden and all is heated through about 10 minutes.
6. Enjoy!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment