Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Notes from a Dragon Mom




This morning while reading a variety of news articles and blog posts, I innocently clicked on the link to this article and was not, not at all, prepared for what I was about to read.  Minutes later, tears streaming freely down my cheeks, I looked down at my sleeping son and took a few moments to thank God for the time I get to spend with him.

Although he doesn't have a disease that we know now will take him from us at an early age, like Emily's case with Ronan, he will die at some point.  It could be tomorrow or it could be 80 years from now and long after I myself have passed away.  The point is I don't know (and never will) and I want to savor every minute I have with him and make them count.  Teach him about God, and love, and nature, and history, and all the other things I love in this life.

As parents we can sometimes get stuck on the inconveniences of raising a little one (or two, or three, or six) and spend our time focusing on what we aren't getting, like sleep or the freedom to do exactly what we want, when we want.  Instead, we need to focus on what we are getting - moments, hours, days, weeks, and hopefully years with a little miracle, a blessing that God hand-picked for us to spend (hopefully) the rest of our lives with.  I am so thankful!


No comments:

Post a Comment