Thursday, January 24, 2013

:: Reading with Riggs ::

One of my favorite things to share with Riggs is my love of books and stories and poems.  So far he seems to love reading with both mama and daddy, and I thought it would be a good project to share some of our favorite stories here on my blog.  I hope that you enjoy and maybe are inspired to share your favorite books as well!


...............

I haven't added a new post to this series for too long!  Luckily, we have been reading with Riggs all along.  It was very fun reading him some of the Christmas books I have collected for him, and I'm sad and sorry that I didn't post about it.  But the holidays are past and so we have put those books away and are back to reading our old favorites.



With Riggs and Steve being sick this past weekend, we did a lot of reading together as a family.  One of my favorite of Riggs' board books is Ten Little Rabbits, written by Virginia Grossman and illustrated by Sylvia Long.  It is just so different from many of the other 'run-of-the-mill' board books, especially the counting board books.  The illustrations are beautiful and both Riggs and I can be found staring at each page for a good while before turning to the next.


It often surprises me how patient Riggs is to sit for so long and listen as we read to him.  He does like to point at the shapes he sees on the pages of each book, and he takes great pride in turning each page himself, often very enthusiastically.  Of course, there is only so much sitting still that he can stand before he has scooted off my lap and started roaming again.  But I try and read him at least a book a day, even when it's a bit of a struggle, I will read it to him while he plays.  Reading has been such a huge part of my life, and I love to share it with him.

 Do you have fond memories of being read to when you were little?  I do, and I hope that Riggs enjoys us reading to him as much I enjoyed my family members reading to me when I was young.

[linked up today with Carrie from Chasing Big Dreams for Creating Community]

1 comment: