Sunday, February 24, 2013

simple things sunday :: fur rendezvous


The Fur Rendezvous Festival is a seventy-seven year old tradition in Alaska and is a pretty big part of the history and 'Alaskan-culture' in Anchorage.  Every year in February thousands of people gather downtown to watch the parade and sled-dog races, go to the winter carnival and check out the snow and ice sculptures, all while wearing lots of fur, wool and carhartts.  

I've gone nearly every year since I was born, and many great family memories have been made there as a child, teen and now as an adult with my own child.  So crazy!

these are the Fur Rondy Pin Police - the Keystone Cops
back in the day they used to put you in 'jail'
if you weren't wearing a Fur Rondy pin.
I was SO SCARED of being put in jail when I was a little girl!
 


3 comments:

  1. I just love your photos!!! We were stationed in Seattle for two years and I wish we would have made it up to Alaska. I love to see what others see through their lens and how they tell their stories. Thanks for sharing with the rest of the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Traditions are a wonderful thing. That looks like a lot of fun--if it weren't so COLD! What a great tour of your little corner of the world. Thanks for sharing it with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss Alaska when you post about the things I loved about it!! Great pictuers

    ReplyDelete