Thursday, February 21, 2013

target fail

Let me start by warning you that this is going to be a longggggg post...I apologize in advance.

Don't you hate it when even Target doesn't have what you're looking for?  Usually it's the opposite for me, I'll go to Target with only A and B on my list, and come home with A, C, D, E, and F and then need to go back again soon because I forgot B!



But anyway, I'm getting sidetracked.  The point of this post is that I actually didn't find what I needed when I went to Target yesterday!  Well actually, I found something but don't like it now that I have it home and in the house.  So sad!

Let me start at the beginning...

I rearranged our room this week.  I've been wanting to for a while, mainly because I wanted room to put a chair in there so that I could 'escape' to our room and not have to lay on the bed.  I love laying in bed, don't get me wrong, but I'm getting older (ha) and my back needs a little bit more support sometimes when I read or spend time on my laptop.  I don't really have a great before picture, but this one sort of gives you an idea of how the bed was below the window:


Now it looks like this:

as you can see, we REALLY need some new nightstands...

Yay for having plenty of room for my little reading nook.  I just love how the room is set up now, it's even more peaceful and inviting than it was before.  Steve really likes it too, which is always nice ;).  But as you can see, there is nothing covering the windows except for those dated vertical blinds, which I really don't like.  I can't stand them, and not just because they're ugly - they're also just really annoying to use.  So I went to Target today hoping to find some nice curtains to give the room a more finished look.

Riggs slept nearly the whole time, he is such a good little shopping buddy!  I snapped a few pictures and they were too cute not to share (I warned you this would be a long post!):


I really wanted some white or beige curtains, but Steve requested that they block light for summer (when it's light outside for around 20 hours a day).  I have no problem sleeping even with the extra light, but apparently it bothers him.  So I needed to find some blackout or thermal curtains  and they only had maroon and dark brown.  Sigh.  I don't particularly like either of those colors, but I thought that the brown might work.  They were also about 50% off, so that swayed my decision a little bit too, I think.  They also had some Shabby Chic for Target lace balloon drapes on sale for $14 each so I picked those up too, thinking they would soften the brown a bit.

Once I got home, I set to work taking down the vertical blinds and installing the curtain rods I picked up.  Riggs got a hold of my iPhone somehow and checked Facebook for me while I worked.  He also shared some baby lotion with Tutka (so thoughtful!):


The moment of truth finally came when I slid the curtains onto the rod and put it up above the window.....and I was disappointed.   


They're too dark and hard, just like I worried about.  I'm glad I only did one window since I'm going to take them back ASAP.  I left them up for a while to see if I'd change my mind, and to see what Steve thought, but he agreed with me.  Sigh.  On the bright side, I now know more of what I'm looking for and am scouring the online shopping world to see if I can find them.

I realized too that there is a bigger problem, and that's the paint color and trim color.  I love blue and I thought when we moved in that I'd like the paint color in our room, but it's just too blue of a blue, I'd like something a little more neutral.  I also really need to paint the trim white like the rest of the house.  Just something else to add to the making-this-house-a-home to-do list.

Of course, I couldn't go to Target and not look at clothes.  They had some more Spring items out, and I picked up a dress, cardigan and pants.  I left the tags on because I couldn't decide if I really needed them or not (apparently I was having a really really indecisive day).  What do you think?  Keep or take them back with the curtains? Oh, and I would link each item to the Target website, but I tried, and not a single one is for sale online!




Happy Thursday, if you're still reading, thank you!  I had so much to say and share today and I know this was a super long post :)

4 comments:

  1. IKEA. They sell blackout curtains at Ikea because In Sweden they have a day or two when the sun doesn't go down!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wait, do you have IKEA? Maybe they ship to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had IKEA! That is hands down the WORST thing about living in Alaska. And they ship some items, but charge at least $50 for each order (even on $9.99 curtains). sad.

      Delete
  3. Love the dress and sweater! Harder to see the pants so couldn't really vote yes or no. LU!

    ReplyDelete