Tuesday, August 6, 2013

taking stock



today I'm joining Amber from Adventures of a Rainbow Mama in taking stock (a few days late):

Making: better decisions about how I spend my time. little by little, I feel like I am doing so much better at getting the things done each day that need to be done and maybe even having a few moments to relax and read at the end of the day after Riggs is dreaming in his bed. 

Cooking: lots of red salmon and baked goods for Steve at work. excited for the weather to be cooler so that I can start cooking more warm dinners. during our unusually hot July, it was salads or crockpot meals nearly every evening for dinner.
Drinking: lots and lots of water, as always.
Reading: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver. this is an amazing and inspiring book. every single person needs to read it. well? what are you waiting for? go! read it!
Wanting: to know how changes happen right before my eyes so quickly (see picture at beginning of post)
Looking: out the window at the wind rustling the leaves of the poplars in the yard. the movement is so mesmerizing and the sound so soothing.
Playing: the guitar, finally! Steve restrung it for me and there's been lots of music in the house lately for everyone...


Wasting: a lot less food scraps now that we have the chickens and a compost pile/bin set up in the yard.
Sewing: nothing? oh wait, I did mend Riggs' wool booties Sunday, does that count?
Wishing: I was sewing more...
Enjoying: this quiet break in my day to spoil myself with blog time while Riggs' naps.
Waiting: for my sister and her boys to get here so we can spend the afternoon gabbing and gathering food at Pyrah's together.
Liking: how warm Tutka is laying on my feet.
Wondering: if I will get this entire post done before I hear calls of 'mama' from Riggs' room.
Loving: Josh Garrels - anything and everything he sings but especially revelator and farther along from love & war & the sea between.
Hoping: for many secret longings of my heart.
Marveling: at how fast summer turns to fall.
Needing: to get to work on other things, like blog posts for Mitch and all the yard work that's just waiting for me outside.
Smelling: the sweet smell of the outdoors as it floats in on the breeze through my bedroom window.
Wearing: blue maxi skirt with a grey striped cotton sweater.
Following: my heart as I stumble along this parenting journey with God as my guide and Steve as my partner. 
Noticing: one of the drawers in my dresser isn't pushed in all the way, and it's really bothering me. I keep looking back at it as if it would somehow have pushed itself in where it should be. I think I'm going to have to get up and fix it...
Knowing: how much God loves me humbles me and makes me so happy.
Thinking: I really should go out and put the stroller away before it blows away in one of the stronger gusts of wind.
Feeling: very blessed.
Bookmarking: this article and feeling sick over the fact there are even people who would support/be in favor of GMOs.
Opening: my mind to so many things I want to learn more about.
Giggling: quietly while imagining what Tutka must be dreaming about as he twitches and grunts in his sleep...

If you want to follow along in taking stock leave a link to your post in the comments so I can read your thoughts!

5 comments:

  1. Wishing I could give you and Riggs a hug, love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You write so beautifully Whitney. This is the perfect picture of a moment but also of a full-hearted life.
    Amber. xxx

    p.s. I'm in love with that guitar photo.
    p.p.s Thanks for the mention ;)X

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, loving the Noticing line...it would drive me crazy too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy to read that I'm not the only crazy lady who is obsessed with organic food and GMO's. I can really get on a rampage... :) I will have to check out the book you mentioned. I would love to do the Taking Stock-maybe I will work on it this weekend! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Amber - thank you so much! and thanks for the inspiration!

    @asavageday - right?! I just can't handle things like that, maybe I'm a teeny bit OCD lol

    @Andrea - yes we are very interested in food in this house, where it comes from especially. like you say, glad to know we're not alone! If you do the taking stock post I'd love it if you share a link here! :)

    ReplyDelete